Projects with GWOSC data
Some examples of projects using GWOSC data are shown on this page.
Listing a project here does not imply endorsement by LIGO Laboratory, the LIGO Scientific Collaboration or the Virgo Collaboration.
If you have completed a project with GWOSC data, please let us know!
Student Ashley Disbrow presents her work at the 2014 American Astronomical Society meeting in Washington, DC.
Student Emma Wadley created the installation art, titled Void (2016), shown above. Her artist statement includes this description: "I have used black paper to represent fear through the colour associated with death, shadows and the deepest nights ... The addition of light creates an eerie iridescence and the soundscape aims to unnerve and intrigue through otherworldly noise of Gravitational waves and the Mariana Trench."
Below are the most recent publications citing GWOSC, based on a query to INSPIRE.
1) Chaotic von Zeipel-Lidov-Kozai Oscillations of Binary System around Rotating Supermassive Black Hole
Kei-ichi Maeda, Priti Gupta, Hirotada Okawa
2) Pulsational pair-instability supernovae in gravitational-wave and electromagnetic transients
D.D. Hendriks, L.A.C. van Son, M. Renzo, et al.
3) Prompt sky localization of compact binary sources using meshfree approximation
Lalit Pathak, Sanket Munishwar, Amit Reza, et al.
4) How robust are gravitational wave predictions from cosmological phase transitions?
Peter Athron, Lachlan Morris, Zhongxiu Xu
5) Topological Dark Matter in LIGO Data
Lavinia Heisenberg, David Maibach, Doğa Veske
6) First constraints on compact binary environments from LIGO-Virgo data
Giada Caneva Santoro, Soumen Roy, Rodrigo Vicente, et al.
7) Fast Bayesian gravitational wave parameter estimation using convolutional neural networks
M. Andrés-Carcasona, M. Martinez, Ll.M. Mir
8) Spectroscopy for asymmetric binary black hole mergers
Jahed Abedi, Collin D. Capano, Shilpa Kastha, et al.
9) Searching for gravitational wave echoes from black hole binary events in the third observing run of LIGO, Virgo, and KAGRA collaborations
Nami Uchikata, Tatsuya Narikawa, Hiroyuki Nakano, et al.
10) Population synthesis and parameter estimation of neutron stars with continuous gravitational waves and third-generation detectors
Yuhan Hua, Karl Wette, Susan M. Scott, et al.
11) First Targeted Search for Gravitational Waves from Highly Spinning Light Compact Binaries
Yi-Fan Wang, Alexander H. Nitz
12) Detecting single gravitons with quantum sensing
Germain Tobar, Sreenath K. Manikandan, Thomas Beitel, et al.
13) Measurements of the Hubble constant from combinations of supernovae and radio quasars
Tonghua Liu, Xiyan Yang, Zisheng Zhang, et al.
14) Mitigating the effect of population model uncertainty on strong lensing Bayes factor using nonparametric methods
Damon H.T. Cheung, Stefano Rinaldi, Martina Toscani, et al.
15) PycWB: A User-friendly, Modular, and Python-based Framework for Gravitational Wave Unmodelled Search
Yumeng Xu, Shubhanshu Tiwari, Marco Drago
16) Efficient Reduced Order Quadrature Construction Algorithms for Fast Gravitational Wave Inference
Gonzalo Morras, Jose Francisco Nuno Siles, Juan Garcia-Bellido
17) The effect of the gravitational constant variation on the propagation of gravitational waves
Jiachen An, Yadong Xue, Zhoujian Cao, et al.
18) LIGO-Virgo-KAGRA's Oldest Black Holes: Probing star formation at cosmic noon with GWTC-3
Maya Fishbach, Lieke van Son
19) Classifying Gravitational Waves with GMM and LMM techniques
Sourav Dutta, Shwetabh Biswas, Reetanjali Moharana, et al.
20) The first joint observation by KAGRA with GEO 600
R. Abbott, H. Abe, F. Acernese, et al.
Student projects at SUNY New Paltz (Starting in 2021)
Student projects mentored by Eric Myers
Final papers: Spy Hill Research
Pioneer Academics student projects (2015-2021)
Student projects mentored by Eric Myers
Final Papers: Spy Hill Research
Effect of Low Frequency Noise in Detection of Gravitational Waves
Gravitational Wave Events (iPhone App)
Evidence for Small-Strain Burst Sources Proliferating in Enhanced-LIGO Time Series Data
Stanley W. Wong and Baokun Gu Report on Google Docs
Calculating detection ranges for binary black holes
Bassel Heiba Code on github
GW150914 Kaggle Projects
Created by Elena Cuoco GW150914 data in Kaggle
Online Course - LIGO: Detecting Gravitational Waves
Art Installation: Void
Emma Wadley See photo above
Modified LIGO data analysis notebook
Physics From Planet Earth homework problems
Non-Gaussian noise and data analysis of laser interferometric gravitational wave detectors
Takahiro Yamamoto, Ph.D. Thesis See JGW-P1605355
Gravitational Wave Detection in the Introductory Lab
Lior M. BurkoGeorgia Gwinnett College, See arxiv:1602.04666
Pioneer Academics student projects
Searching for Compact Binaries in LIGO Data
Shannon Wang Date Completed: September 2014 Report: Paper
Recovering S5 Burst Injections
S5 Data Time Dependence of Duty Cycles and Spacetime Detection Volumes
Gary LaMotte Date Completed: April 2014 Presentation: Slides
Recovering Hardware Injections in LIGO S5 Data
Share your own GWOSC data project
For help getting started on a GWOSC data project, or if you have completed work that you would like to share, please contact the GWOSC team.
Please remember to cite or acknowledge GWOSC if using any products from this web site.