Projects with GWOSC data
Some examples of projects using GWOSC data are shown on this page.
Listing a project here does not imply endorsement by LIGO Laboratory, the LIGO Scientific Collaboration or the Virgo Collaboration.
If you have completed a project with GWOSC data, please let us know!
Student Ashley Disbrow presents her work at the 2014 American Astronomical Society meeting in Washington, DC.
Student Emma Wadley created the installation art, titled Void (2016), shown above. Her artist statement includes this description: "I have used black paper to represent fear through the colour associated with death, shadows and the deepest nights ... The addition of light creates an eerie iridescence and the soundscape aims to unnerve and intrigue through otherworldly noise of Gravitational waves and the Mariana Trench."
Below are the most recent publications citing GWOSC, based on a query to INSPIRE.
1) Automated Evaluation of Environmental Coupling for Advanced LIGO Gravitational Wave Detections
Adrian Helmling-Cornell, Philippe Nguyen, Robert Schofield, et al.
2) Determining the core-collapse supernova explosion mechanism with current and future gravitational-wave observatories
Jade Powell, Alberto Iess, Miquel Llorens-Monteagudo, et al.
3) Analysis of the subsolar-mass black hole candidate SSM200308 from the second part of the third observing run of Advanced LIGO-Virgo
Marine Prunier, Gonzalo Morrás, José Francisco Nuño Siles, et al.
4) IMRPhenomXP_NRTidalv2: An improved frequency-domain precessing binary neutron star waveform model
Marta Colleoni, Felip A. Ramis Vidal, Nathan K. Johnson-McDaniel, et al.
5) Traversing a kinetic pole during inflation: primordial black holes and gravitational waves
Anish Ghoshal, Alessandro Strumia
6) Effect of Noise Estimation in Time-Domain Ringdown Analysis: A Case Study with GW150914
Hai-Tian Wang, Lijing Shao
7) The Ligo-Virgo-KAGRA Computing Infrastructure for Gravitational-wave Research
8) Search for continuous gravitational waves directed at sub-threshold radiometer candidates in O3 LIGO data
Alan M. Knee, Helen Du, Evan Goetz, et al.
9) Calibrating signal-to-noise ratio detection thresholds using gravitational-wave catalogs
Matthew Mould, Christopher J. Moore, Davide Gerosa
10) Characterizing the efficacy of methods to subtract terrestrial transient noise near gravitational wave events and the effects on parameter estimation
Sudarshan Ghonge, Joshua Brandt, J.M. Sullivan, et al.
11) Gravitational-wave constraints on scalar-tensor gravity from a neutron star and black-hole binary GW200115
Hiroki Takeda, Shinji Tsujikawa, Atsushi Nishizawa
12) Search for hyperbolic encounters of compact objects in the third LIGO-Virgo-KAGRA observing run
Sophie Bini, Shubhanshu Tiwari, Yumeng Xu, et al.
13) New binary black hole mergers in the LIGO-Virgo O3b data
Ajit Kumar Mehta, Seth Olsen, Digvijay Wadekar, et al.
14) TESLA-X: An effective method to search for sub-threshold lensed gravitational waves with a targeted population model
Alvin K.Y. Li, Juno C.L. Chan, Heather Fong, et al.
15) Constraints on Non-Gaussian primordial curvature perturbation from the LIGO-Virgo-KAGRA third observing run
Ryoto Inui, Santiago Jaraba, Sachiko Kuroyanagi, et al.
16) Probing More Deeply in an All-Sky Search for Continuous Gravitational Waves in the LIGO O3 Data Set
Aashish Tripathee, Keith Riles
17) Template bank to search for exotic gravitational wave signals from astrophysical compact binaries
Abhishek Sharma, Soumen Roy, Anand S. Sengupta
18) The impact of selection biases on tests of general relativity with gravitational-wave inspirals
Ryan Magee, Maximiliano Isi, Ethan Payne, et al.
19) Bounds on tidal charges from gravitational-wave ringdown observations
Akash K. Mishra, Gregorio Carullo, Sumanta Chakraborty
20) Efficient Machine Learning Ensemble Methods for Detecting Gravitational Wave Glitches in LIGO Time Series
Elena-Simona Apostol, Ciprian-Octavian Truică
Student projects at SUNY New Paltz (Starting in 2021)
Student projects mentored by Eric Myers
Final papers: Spy Hill Research
Pioneer Academics student projects (2015-2021)
Student projects mentored by Eric Myers
Final Papers: Spy Hill Research
Effect of Low Frequency Noise in Detection of Gravitational Waves
Gravitational Wave Events (iPhone App)
Evidence for Small-Strain Burst Sources Proliferating in Enhanced-LIGO Time Series Data
Stanley W. Wong and Baokun Gu Report on Google Docs
Calculating detection ranges for binary black holes
Bassel Heiba Code on github
GW150914 Kaggle Projects
Created by Elena Cuoco GW150914 data in Kaggle
Online Course - LIGO: Detecting Gravitational Waves
Art Installation: Void
Emma Wadley See photo above
Modified LIGO data analysis notebook
Physics From Planet Earth homework problems
Non-Gaussian noise and data analysis of laser interferometric gravitational wave detectors
Takahiro Yamamoto, Ph.D. Thesis See JGW-P1605355
Gravitational Wave Detection in the Introductory Lab
Lior M. BurkoGeorgia Gwinnett College, See arxiv:1602.04666
Pioneer Academics student projects
Searching for Compact Binaries in LIGO Data
Shannon Wang Date Completed: September 2014 Report: Paper
Recovering S5 Burst Injections
S5 Data Time Dependence of Duty Cycles and Spacetime Detection Volumes
Gary LaMotte Date Completed: April 2014 Presentation: Slides
Recovering Hardware Injections in LIGO S5 Data
Share your own GWOSC data project
For help getting started on a GWOSC data project, or if you have completed work that you would like to share, please contact the GWOSC team.
Please remember to cite or acknowledge GWOSC if using any products from this web site.